Summary of our trip experience
We spent 2 nights at Weldon Springs State Park in the fall of 2010. It is a nice little park with a small lake and a few short hiking trails. It is a nice little weekend camping and day use park and we had a real nice weekend.
Keep reading below for our recommend itineraries and advice on planning your trip. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us through our Contact Page.
Recommended 1 Day Itinerary
- Hike the Old Farm Trail
- This will take you by an old cemetery and farm. If you enjoy putting yourself back in time a bit, then you will enjoy this nice walk.
- If you have more time and are up for another hike, then hike around the lake on The Lakeside Self Guiding Interpretive Trail
- This is a nice little hike around the lake.
- Rent a small fishing boat and do some fishing around the lake
- Canoe / Kayak around the lake
This is a great little weekend campground. Take the time to enjoy the trails and go for a walk. You could come here for the day, just to get some exercise outside or spend the weekend camping.
Great park to take the kids with the short and easy hikes. Even the 3 mile Old Farm Trail Hike, is a really easy trail through a very wide grassy mowed path and easy walking.
Nice little campground. I recommend camping in the south spur that is has a little privacy from the main camping area. When we were there, it was a pet free area and was nice and quite with no barking dogs.
My Trip Report –
My Campground Review – Weldon Springs State Park Campground Review
Weldon Springs State Park – www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/WeldonSprings.aspx